[GRLUG] Data wiping / recovery / paranoia

Bill Littlejohn billl at mtd-inc.com
Fri Sep 15 01:49:55 EDT 2006

A software disk wipe can be very effective.
I wipe all retired drives at my shop, and that's good enough.
BUT, effectiveness of data disposal not only depends on the technical
details of recovery, but also on the existence of the media used. A
wiped drive is a target for recovery. A destroyed drive is, well, gone.
It all depends on how important it is to you that the data is gone for
good.
Although I don't recall the details, I remember reading recently of
someone arrested for wiping a drive. I suppose the existence of a wiped
drive is now proof of destruction of evidence and incriminating in itself.
That's disturbing enough to me that I don't want evidence of evidence.
So to speak.
Suppose I upgrade my 40GB HDD for a shiny new 100GB 7200rpm beauty; I
wipe my old HDD to ensure my SSN, bank records, passwords, etc are gone.
Then I'm accused or implicated in torrenting movies, kiddie porn,
terrorist activity, or whatever, and I'm sitting here with an obviously
wiped drive?
I'm not really that paranoid, but I don't think it's a stretch either.
BL