[GRLUG] I hate DRM - NOT LINUX RELATED

Ron Lauzon rlauzon at gmail.com
Mon Sep 11 16:46:34 EDT 2006

Bob Kline wrote:
> Not likely?  Look at what the senate did
> for Disney: it extended the copyright period
> another 25 years,  to 95,  just so DIsney could
> keep control  of its cartoon movies for a while
> longer.

Not just "a while longer."  They are looking at perpetual copyright on
the installment plan.  As soon as that extension was passed, they
started lobbying for yet another extension.

> If you think they
> aren't in on this,  look at the fuss they are
> making about Google putting books online.

I believe that the reason for this is not copyright issues.

If Google puts all these books up, it will highlight how many works are
still under copyright but their authors are long dead.  It will make
public what they don't want everyone to know: that they have locked up
our culture.

--
Ron Lauzon - rlauzon at acm dot org
   Homepage: http://7lauzon.home.comcast.net/

   DNRC: Lord of All Things That Are Fattening

   "To be sure, conservative radio talk show hosts have a built-in
   audience unavailable to liberals: People driving cars to some
   sort of job." - Ann Coulter

Microsoft Free since July 06, 2001
Running Mandriva Linux 2006