[GRLUG] I hate DRM

Collin adderd at kkmfg.com
Mon Sep 11 11:47:45 EDT 2006

The problem is that napster has two sorts of songs you can get.

You can download a song and play it for 30 days and then it expires.
These can't be burned to CD but if you still want the song you can get
another 30 days without interruption so long as you still subscribe to
napster. I have napster and I fully, 100% support this use of DRM. This
is what DRM was supposed to be. It's a good compromise: You pay very
little money (an extra $5 a month) and can download as many tracks as
you want to play on your computer and supporting MP3 players (yes, they
are WMA drm protected files). Since you have NOT purchased these tracks
you are limited as to what you can do. However, I have an IRiver T10 and
it works great with this napster service!

The other way is to outright purchase a track. These can be burned to
audio CD's. I'm not sure but they are probably also DRM'd WMA files. You
get rid of it by burning just like with ITunes.