[GRLUG] Sendmail as secondary (backup) MX

Benjamin Eavey ben at eavey.com
Tue Oct 31 10:36:03 EST 2006

Has anyone set this up and worked out all the kinks?  I have a machine
running Sendmail and acting as a backup MX for several domains.
Everything has been working fine, for the most part, but now I'm running
into problems with the queue becoming overloaded.

It looks like a bunch of spam, and it appears to be a bunch of "550 -
undeliverable" messages and other similar stuff.  Looks like the
spammers are sending to non-existent addresses at the domains I host,
which are then bouncing with "undeliverable" messages, which are then
building up on my sendmail server, which is trying to deliver them to
the spoofed originating email addresses.

I know this is bad, and I'm pulling my hair trying to figure out how to
make this work properly, but I'm not getting anywhere.

Can anyone offer any suggestions?  Am I explaining this well enough that
the problem makes sense?

Thanks,

-Ben