[GRLUG] OpenSolaris

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Sun Oct 22 23:18:25 EDT 2006

Doesn't seem likely to me...As I recall, OpenSolaris has much more
stringient limitations on hardware than Linux does.  Also, I would
think the OpenSolaris's developer community is much smaller than that
for Linux.

If it were me, I'd want to go with whichever solution gives me the
most flexibility.

> "The thing with Linux is that it is a benevolent dictatorship, with one person having the
> ultimate yea or nay," Teer said. "That is certainly not the case with Apache, nor will it be
> with OpenSolaris."

...Huh?  Linus himself said that if people didn't like his decisions,
they could easily fork the kernel.  The whole "benevolent dictator"
line is a joke that someone apparently didn't get. Or twisted.  And
the article's use of the above quote contradicts the principle behind
another point the article makes:

> Stephen Hahn...said a limited number of mutually compatible Solaris distributions is
> preferable to the chaotic Linux landscape.

And their source (singular) for the swtich rumor?  A guy who
interviewed with Google.  So much for "sources"

In short, I think someone jumped the gun in order to write a pro-Sun
article; only a couple paragraphs mention Google, while the rest
expound on the virtues of the fledgling OpenSolaris community, and how
the Linux community is fragmented yet dictated to.

But then, I'm probably jumping the gun lashing out at the article...