[GRLUG] Possibilty of creating a nonprofit orgination

Szymon Machajewski SMachaje at grcc.edu
Fri Oct 20 17:10:47 EDT 2006

Jared,

I think this is a fine idea and I'm on board with whatever help you may
need.

I actually have a student in my class who is involved with another
organization who acquires laptops and distributes them in Africa.  On
the laptops they install soft phones based on Linux so people can
communicate over the phone via wireless.  It turns out they have
wireless but not phone lines.  This type of connection is cheap and
apparently easy to operate.

Also RedHat along with MIT have a project for a $100 laptop which would
create a connectivity web in developing countries.
http://www.redhat.com/magazine/014dec05/features/olpc/

I bet there would be support for such initiatives in Grand Rapids
area.

Thank you.

Szymon Machajewski

Solutions Engineer / DBA
Red Hat Certified Engineer
Oracle Certified Associate
Microsoft Certified Solution Developer
www.grcc.edu/smachaje

>>> "Jared Upton" <jared77 at gmail.com> 10/20/2006 3:34:26 pm >>>
I was thinking of the possibilty of creating a non profit organization
collect and redistribute used PCs to the less forunate school childen,
familys, etc.  To avoid costs we could install Eubuntu on all the
machines.
This would also address the nasty spyware problems.  I have been
conisdering
this awhile and then came across this article today on digg.com
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=280193
Any comments on the feasibilty of this would be greatly appreciated.  I
am
also new to the area so something similar may in place that I am not
aware
of.