[GRLUG] Automatix update

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Fri Oct 20 15:43:28 EDT 2006

On 10/20/06, Topher <topher at wcsg.org> wrote:
> > Ubuntu users might want to upgrade to Automatix2...it's significantly
> > updated from the old Automatix.
> >
> > http://www.getautomatix.com/
>
> I tried it out, and it doesn't recognize that I already have a lot of that
> stuff installed, what would it do if I told it to "install" it?  For
> example, I already have Opera.

It uses dpkg and apt for package management, so it would be like
installing Firefox manually, and then installing the Firefox package.

As long as your manual installation put the binaries in /usr/local/*,
there should be no worries.  You can even choose which binaries to use
by modifitying your $PATH, or by writing out the full path to the
opera binary.