[GRLUG] MythTV

Bruce Smith blubdog at gmail.com
Fri Oct 20 09:08:12 EDT 2006

> > > does anyone have suggestions.
> >
> > Check all your settings (there are a LOT of them).
> > Make sure you have all US settings (NTSC, etc.).
> > Make sure you have the correct input selected on the card.
>
> ok, one biggie. what is the cable type for Comcast.

Sorry, I don't have comcast.

> i used the ptune and cycled them all and still only get snow when using
> the "tuner" input. i guess i should check the svid/composite in and see
> it there is anything there even.

Have you tried subscribing to the Myth mailing list and asking about
your problems there?  The support is really good.  I also recommend
searching the list archives.

> > They recently had a major new release (0.20), and there were some bugs
> > (to be expected), but the bugs seem to be relatively minor from what I
> > gathered from reading the list (I haven't upgraded myself yet).
>
> i am planning on .20 but i have a friend at work that is also fighting
> with making myth work. it seems there is some issues with the PVR cards
> and Nvidia's current drivers...
>
> anyone see issues like these?

This is why I run Myth on Fedora.

I don't run Fedora for anything other than Myth, but the Fedora RPM
repository for Myth is the most current.  It has the "fixes" branch of
0.20, so all the bugs that first came out when 0.20 was released are
now fixed in the repository.  All the required software (versions that
work well), including the NVidia drivers, are bundled in the
repository.  No waiting for 0.21, or having to
download/check-out/patch/compile it yourself.

There is also the most complete and best maintained HOWTO about
running on Myth on Fedora.  Plus it appears that most people run Myth
on Fedora (from the traffic on the mailing list), so the Fedora
support on the list is the best too.

I've run Myth since 0.14 (currently running 0.18) and I've installed
Myth on two different PC's.  Both times I followed the Fedora howto
and the only (minor) problems I had were due to my own mistakes.

 - BS