[GRLUG] Meeting agenda?

Tim Schmidt timschmidt at gmail.com
Thu Oct 12 17:49:19 EDT 2006

On 10/12/06, Raymond McLaughlin <driveray at ameritech.net> wrote:
> Sounds nice and simple? Except that, at least in true scsi land, cdroms aren't
> /dev/sd? they are /dev/sr? (old school) or /dev/scd? (new school).  Where
> /dev/hdc points to what ever device is master on the second IDE channel, SATA
> cd/dvd-roms will (assuming they follow the scsi standard) require you to *know*
> what is hooked up to which channel before mounting.

Yeah.  SCSI device numbering is borked.  Has been since the switch to
the new device numbering scheme - at least.  IDE isn't really any more
sensible.  I've heard Linus grumble about just assigning consecutive
numbers to drives, and remembering them based on the drive's GUID.
That may be a little less transparent, but probably more sensible.

--tim