[GRLUG] Meeting agenda?

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Wed Oct 11 09:21:53 EDT 2006

There are a few different reasons you might want to compile a kernel

* You may be working on a system with a limited amount of RAM or disk
space, so you need the kernel to take as little space as possible.
* You may want to play with a Really Cool Feature that's not present
in your distro's default kernel.
* You might have bought a bleeding-edge piece of hardware whose driver
isn't in the kernel version your distro offers.  Not too long ago, USB
was bleeding edge, and only the 2.4 kernels had full support.  More
recently, gigabit ethernet had limited driver support.  Today, SATA is
on the bleeding edge.