[GRLUG] Next Meeting....?

Al Tobey tobert at gmail.com
Fri Oct 6 15:24:00 EDT 2006

On 10/6/06, Michael Mol <mikemol at gmail.com> wrote:
> Are people still interested in that kernel-building presentation?
> What kinds of questions do you have when you're thinking about
> building a kernel?  Which features do you want to know how to
> configure, and what features do you want to know more about?

I could say a word or two about the early boot process.   I got
irritated with the differences between distributions' initrd/initramfs
setups and wrote my own builder that should work on any distribution.
  It also supports all kernels installed with a single initramfs.
http://tobert.org/unix/make_initramfs.sh.txt

Determining which drivers build for your system and what some of the
more esoteric options are might be interesting to those who haven't
built 100+ kernels this year.   For those who use their distro
kernels, talk about how those are put together and how they differ
from each other and mainline.    How about building a kernel with the
Intel C compiler?    It's supposedly 30% or so faster than a gcc-built
kernel.    I'd also like to see somebody talk about FUSE, since I
haven't had the time to check it out.    There's some cool stuff in
there.

Anyways, that's my $0.02.    I've built enough kernels to know there's
more to know.

-Al Tobey