[GRLUG] Next meeting - volunteer anyone?

Szymon Machajewski SMachaje at grcc.edu
Fri Nov 17 16:38:30 EST 2006

We have the location for Dec 4th confirmed.
Also the first agenda item is taken care of by Al.

Do we have volunteers for other two presentations?
Maybe the approach should be to have fewer presentations anyway.

Bill Creswell thank you for keeping Wiki updated about the meetings.

We should also start planning forward to the Jan meeting (9th at 3pm)
at IT.  Any requested agenda or presentation volunteers?

Thank you.

Szymon Machajewski

Solutions Engineer / DBA
Red Hat Certified Engineer
Oracle Certified Associate
Microsoft Certified Solution Developer
www.grcc.edu/smachaje

>>> "Al Tobey" <tobert at gmail.com> 11/12/2006 8:14:39 pm >>>
Priority Health Conference
Center<http://maps.google.com/maps?q=3111+Leonard+St+NE,+Grand+Rapids,+MI+49525+%28Priority%20Health%20Conference%20Center%29&spn=0.016144,0.039312&hl=en>-
it is at the corner of East Beltline and Leonard St. It is on the
North
side of Leonard in the old Funeral Home building, parking is available
behind the building. Please use the entrance from Leonard Street.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=3111+Leonard+St+NE,+Grand+Rapids,+MI+49525+(Priority%20Health%20Conference%20Center)&spn=0.016144,0.039312&hl=en

On 11/12/06, Szymon Machajewski <SMachaje at grcc.edu> wrote:

> Al,
>
> That sounds great.  This mean the Dec 4th meeting will be at
Priority
> Health.
> Could you please post directions?
>
> darth_linux, could we do the next meeting at ITT?  This would be on
Tue
> Jan 9th at 3pm ? (normally the first Tue of the month at 3pm but the
> 01/02/07 may be inconvenient).
>
> Our agenda for Dec 4th:
>
> Linux in a AD domain - Al
> Key-based SSH authentication
> Which database? Oracle, MySQL, MS Access, OpenOffice Base
>
> looking for volunteers!

> On 11/12/06, Szymon Machajewski <SMachaje at grcc.edu> wrote:
> >
> > Al,
> >
> > Is the location reserved for the 4th?
>

> Yeah, the venue is reserved.
>
> Also, I think the AD presentation would be great.
>

> Ok.    I think an intro to Kerberos and LDAP would be the place to
> start.
> I'll throw something together.
>
> In one of my RedHat tests we had to connect a RedHat Directory
Server
> > (old Netscape LDAP) on the back-end to an AD domain ...
>

> Ouch.   I'm looking forward to the SAMBA 4 stuff, since they decided
> implement their own LDAP server so they could account all of AD's
> idiosyncrasies easier.    If I talk about LDAP, it'll be OpenLDAP or
> SAMBA
> 4.    My last experience with Netscape LDAP was in 1999.
>
> -Al

> > On 11/8/06, Szymon Machajewski <SMachaje at grcc.edu> wrote:
> > > According to our previous plans the next meeting date is Dec 4th
> > 6:00
> > > pm.
> > >
> > > The agenda:
> > > Linux in a AD domain
> > > Key-based SSH authentication
> > > Which database? Oracle, MySQL, MS Access, OpenOffice Base
> > >
> > > We need presenters and a location.  Al, did you have an option
at
> > > Priority Health ? darth_linux how about ITT?
> > >
> > > Thank you.
> > >
> > > Szymon Machajewski
> > >
> > > Solutions Engineer / DBA
> > > Red Hat Certified Engineer
> > > Oracle Certified Associate
> > > Microsoft Certified Solution Developer
> > > www.grcc.edu/smachaje
> >
> > Sorry for procrastinating.   I just put in the request to reserve
> the
> > PH conference center.
> >
> > I can demo Oracle XE on Ubuntu, or do an abbreviated version of my
> > MySQL talk I wrote for GR.pm.
> >
> > If people are interested, I did a minimal AD integration for all
of
> > our *nix hosts at Priority Health about 1.5 years ago.    There
are
> > varying stages of integration, from simple password checking up
> > through full AD domain membership.    We started out with the
> > simplest, which is really, really easy.
> >
> > Once the room is solid and an announcement message is crafted,
I'll