[GRLUG] Novell, having fun are we?

Szymon Machajewski SMachaje at grcc.edu
Sun Nov 5 21:53:46 EST 2006

Thanks for the spells Greg!  Good to have you around!

I would like to offer a conspiracy theory on the Novell/Microsoft
cooperation.

Who is the common competitor?  In OS world, on the enterprise scene,
who is Novell's and M$'s enemy?
Is it possible that this step is to take down RedHat in the
vitalization market?

To my knowledge Windows is not truly certified in virtual deployments
(VMware, etc).  If Microsoft blesses Novell and their SUSE vitalization
of Windows, this would give Novell an upper hand over RedHat.
Microsoft must have a way to benefit from this as well.  Maybe they
will buy Novell when it's all done.

Please note that this news release is preceded by an Oracle news
release: Oracle will use a copy of RedHat as their integrated OS for the
Oracle RDBMS and other products.

>>> Greg Folkert <greg at gregfolkert.net> 11/4/2006 10:47:55 pm >>>
Based on the archive I have seen on this list so far... I can only say
this:

Not that I condone what Novell has allowed Microsoft to hold the knife
and position it where it is going to be...

Just that, if you are going to get proper exposure and usage and
familiarity and cooperative Linux implementations you have to sign
*The*
deal with Satan while wearing a lead alloy lined, asbestos suit, with
special enhanced back and pooper shield.

As a special _pro_caution(1), never look over the shoulders whilst
wearing that suit. It gives Microsoft the chance to do all the dirty
work they want, having little effect on the real product, except more
exposure, upping usage, gaining familiarity and making the "host" look
far worse than it really is.

IOW, this allows the "Brilliantly Cut, Flawless, Colorless, Clear
Diamond" to be uncovered or discovered in the dogsh*t that surrounds
it.

Also, based on my experience, Linux DOES run better as a hosted OS (in
Windows) than Windows running as the hosted OS (on Linux or Windows).
It
boggles my mind as to why, though I do have a good idea why.

There is already Cooperative Linux running in Windows. Doesn't really
surpise me.

And, yes Szymon, you are right, Microsoft just legitimzed Linux and
they
don't even know they signed thier own death warrant.

1 == Yes, I know the "proper" spelling.

BTW, Hi, Syzmon. I'll possibly be at the ATC-214, 3PM, Nov 7 meeting.
greg, greg at gregfolkert.net

The technology that is
Stronger, better, faster:  Linux