[GRLUG] PC For Sale

Ron Lauzon rlauzon at gmail.com
Tue May 30 16:40:47 EDT 2006

PC For Sale
(aka "Ron wants to build a new PC and he needs to make room.")

Name: Asuna (Named after the violent girl Asuna Kagurazaka in Negima -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negima)

Asuna is a small form factor PC with:
+ Pentium 4 1.7 GHz 256K cache
+ 768 MB RAM
+ 180 GB hard drive
+ A 3.5" floppy drive (the only floppy drive left in my apartment, by
the way - I have no idea if it still works).
+ A CD-R/RW DVD-ROM combo drive.
+ Onboard video, sound and network.
+ 1 Parallel, 1 serial, 4 USB (2 in front, 2 in back), standard PS/2
mouse and keyboard ports. Audio ports on front and back.
+ 2 PCI slots, 1 AGP 4X slot.
+ There's also a WinModem that worked the last time I had a distro on it
that supported it.  I have no idea if it still works.  It probably does
since it was rarely used.
+ The manuals for the motherboard and DVD-ROM/CD-R/RW are included.

You will need to supply the monitor, mouse and keyboard.

Things to be aware of:
1. Asuna supports only USB 1.0 (i.e. slow)
2. She has standard expansion slots, but they are half HEIGHT meaning
that normal PC expansion cards won't fit.

$180

OS options:
1. "The heck with it, I'll install one myself." (free)
2. Mandriva 2006 Power Pack. (Add $20)
3. Ubuntu 5.10 (add $10)

Note that if you go the Ubuntu route, you need a high speed internet
connection to install more packages. Also I don't have as much
familiarity with it, so there will be fewer perks from my installation.
My Mandriva installation will have all the bells, whistles and gongs
(like DVD playing).

If you choose the "install it yourself" option, I can give you a copy of
Mandriva or Ubuntu for free.

The hardware has been tested with all OS options and all functions
(minus the POS modem) work.

--
Ron Lauzon - rlauzon at acm dot org
   Homepage: http://7lauzon.home.comcast.net/

   DNRC: Lord of All Things That Are Fattening

   "To be sure, conservative radio talk show hosts have a built-in
   audience unavailable to liberals: People driving cars to some
   sort of job." - Ann Coulter

Microsoft Free since July 06, 2001
Running Mandriva Linux 2005LE