[GRLUG] meeting

Bill Littlejohn billl at mtd-inc.com
Fri May 26 22:33:01 EDT 2006

"I hear the new Windows virtual server can run Linux."
In fact, it (and Virtual PC) has always been able to run Linux, what's
new is MS supporting it.
I've been testing Virtual Server 2005 R2 for the last couple weeks on a
W2K server host with
W2K3 Server, SUSE 10, and Mandrake 10.1 VM's.
For what it's worth, I've found MS VS to be too hard to manage and
somewhat unstable.
I'm currently going ahead implementing Vmware GSX. (bought it before it
got free'd - damnit)
I plan to have a Win2k3 print/app server, SUSE 10 intra/extranet server
(we use egroupware), and
a Win2k server running Landesk in VM's on this box.

We're not big enough to use Oracle, or in fact any DBS bigger than MSDE
or MySQL.
So I would personally love to hear some talk about integration with Win
networks.
Since we have a one man IT dept. (me), It's hard to spend the time
needed on boards and such to get
the real scoop on Linux in the small business Win networks.
I have so far been able to support (Mandrake) Linux in our server room,
but would like to do more.

BL