[GRLUG] openSuSE 10.1 & Freespire Concept

Collin adderd at kkmfg.com
Wed May 17 08:25:40 EDT 2006

Well, arch is as lightweight or bloated as you want it to be. Rather
than provide you with a bunch of packages on CD you have to explicitly
want the packages and download them from the repository. It really is
sort of like Gentoo except that the repository, by and large, is full of
already compiled apps instead of source (though, there is a user
maintained source repository with many more packages than the official
binary repositories).

One thing I'd caution people about... Arch tends to be rather on the
cutting edge and it's easy to get into a situation where you've got some
work to do to get everything working. For instance, they recently
switched to XOrg 7 and the big switch from 6.X to 7 caused some problems
initially.