[GRLUG] Xgl & Compiz

Bob Kline bob.kline at gmail.com
Tue May 16 15:56:27 EDT 2006

As a general comment,  it appears that vendors
of all stripes might want to be more explicit about
what hardware their offerings have been tried on.
Sun Microsystems used to provide an extensive
list of hardware that was known to work with its
products - probably still does.  This could save a
potential user the ordeal of having to sort out
hardware issues first thing if that is not their interest.

Clearly some Linux distros are better than others
in this regard,  and probably some package providers.
Mandriva seems very good.  I hear SuSe is too.  I'm
not that impressed so far with Ubuntu - some ATI display
cards  apparently give it fits.

  -Bob