[GRLUG] Distro's - was GRLUG test comment

Collin adderd at kkmfg.com
Thu May 4 17:44:43 EDT 2006

But the problem is that, in Ubuntu, the first user setup can do ANYTHING
they want w/ sudo by just giving their own password. Sure, you have to
enter your password but it still doesn't really do it's job of
preventing a normal user from doing something dumb. Sure, it will ask
for their password if they type rm -rf but it will not warn them why
that's a really bad idea. Basically, that user IS root but with an extra
password prompt before you do anything.

If a knowledgeable person is running Ubuntu then it's setup is probably
fine. They'll be able to run their root commands without needing to be
root and with the extra security of a password prompt. However, I'd
doubt that it's sufficient protection against destruction in the hands
of a novice.

I'd agree that sudo is better 'when properly configured.' I'm not sure
Ubuntu fits that classification.