[GRLUG] Looking for info/help for G4L...

Tim Schmidt timschmidt at gmail.com
Thu Mar 30 20:28:00 EST 2006

Sure...  I don't deploy identical images of hundreds of machines at
once, so my experience tends to be an image or two at a time.

dd pulls and pushes bits from / onto disks.  It takes input like so:

dd if=/input/file of=/output/file count=bytes

netcat and socat both redirect standard input / optput over network connections.

Optionally, bzip2 can be inlined to get rid of those pesky zeros.

The manpage of each utility will yield more specific information.

I have a handy 4 or 5 line bash script I use for mounting partitioned
loopback devices if anyone's interested...

--tim