[GRLUG] Comcast & dynamic DNS

john-thomas richards jtr at jrichards.org
Tue Mar 28 14:06:08 EST 2006

On Tue, Mar 28, 2006 at 12:43:46PM -0500, Tim Schmidt wrote:
> Perhaps because they use their DNS servers to re-direct your browser
> to a 'You haven't paid your bill' page when you haven't paid-up in a
> month or two.  I've forgotten a couple times, and direct IP traffic
> gets through, but anything that resolves a domain name ends up at
> comcast's servers.

Been there.  Even with the DNS server addresses manually configured,
their redirect mechanism works.  I had that problem about a year ago or
so and Comcast tech support told me that a different configuration file
is sent to the cable modem to cause DNS to fail.  *Everything* resolves
to their address.  Since they have that capability even with manually
selected DNS servers, I cannot imagine what the issue is.
--
john-thomas
------