[GRLUG] VMware question

Ben Rousch brousch at orthicomp.com
Tue Jun 20 16:05:10 EDT 2006

I am running Ubuntu Breezy on Win2k3 Server via VMWare Server 1.0 and WinXP on
Kubuntu Dapper via VMWare Server 1.0. In both cases everything except
graphics runs nearly as fast in the guest as on the host. The guest does not
use a lot of CPU when it is idle, but if you are running a big process in the
guest it will slow down the host and vice versa. I suppose you can tune that
behavior with nice if it is an issue. I have more trouble with RAM, since you
have to allocate a set amount of RAM for the guest to use. When the guest
starts swapping, oh boy does it get slow!