[GRLUG] Ubuntu 6.06

Tim Schmidt timschmidt at gmail.com
Mon Jun 19 03:55:29 EDT 2006

On 6/19/06, Bob Kline <bob.kline at gmail.com> wrote:
> Leading to the first question.  Would Debian itself
> have any additional advantages,  or does Ubuntu/
> Kubuntu capture the essence of it?

Ubuntu spends some time (a significant portion of the 6 month
development cycle) stabilizing a snapshot of Debian's unstable branch
(Sid).  Debian has much longer development cycles, and similarly long
support periods (typically more than 3 years).  Ubuntu's typical
support period is 1.5 years, with this release (6.06) being supported
for 3 years on the desktop, and 5 years on the server.  Otherwise,
they're cut from the same cloth...  just different ends.

> What I have read
> about Kubuntu suggests that it uses the same
> program library as Debian,  but probably loads fewer
> packages during a standard installation.

Actually...  A typical Debian netinstall only consumes a little over a
hundred megabytes.  Ubuntu can be installed in a similary spartan
fashion.  Both distributions are built from the same source packages
(well, before stabilization), so they offer essentially the same
amount of available software.

> I can say I don't like sudo.  I'd much rather have a
> traditional superuser approach.   Does Debian still
> use the traditional approach?   If so,  that could be
> a reason to switch over at some point.

Both distributions can do either.  The difference is only the default behavior.

--tim