[GRLUG] Access->MySQL with GUI

Szymon Machajewski SMachaje at grcc.edu
Wed Jun 14 08:29:29 EDT 2006

I've had hard time importing Access database into OOBase.  I can link
the database to Access file easily, but I want to 'convert' Access
database to  OOBase.  Any idea how to do that?

Re-creating is what I'm trying to avoid.

Szymon Machajewski

Solutions Engineer / DBA
Red Hat Certified Engineer
Microsoft Certified Solution Developer
www.grcc.edu/smachaje

>>> jodanlime at gmail.com 6/14/2006 1:18:31 am >>>
why not just use open office Base? its open source, and can create
everything your asking it to. I haven't used it much, and I'm nothing
of a
database expert, but after learning access for 2 years (waste of my
time =P)
I found Base to be very easy to adapt to.

On 6/13/06, Szymon Machajewski <SMachaje at grcc.edu> wrote:

> You have to separate GUI from the actual database (tables).
>
> What I would suggest is moving the tables to MySQL and keeping the
> Access GUI (forms, reports etc).
> The easy way is to use a tool (like SQLYog) which allows you to
export
> Access tables into MySQL server.
>
> Once tables exist in MySQL server you simply connect via ODBC Access
> (linked tables) to the MySQL server.  So when you open Access your
> tables will be from MySQL and GUI from Access.  This way you can
connect
> a number of thick clients (Access GUIs).
> At the same time you can work on an alternative GUI.  Maybe use PHP
or
> another language to provide online access to the database.
>

> Szymon Machajewski
>
> Solutions Engineer / DBA
> Red Hat Certified Engineer
> Microsoft Certified Solution Developer
> www.grcc.edu/smachaje

> Could someone give me a pointer for "Moving MS Access databases to
> MySQL server while keeping the GUI"? that's been brought up
recently.

> I need to rebuild an Access DB for use by multiple sites
concurrently