[GRLUG] Access->MySQL with GUI

Szymon Machajewski SMachaje at grcc.edu
Tue Jun 13 14:07:08 EDT 2006

You have to separate GUI from the actual database (tables).

What I would suggest is moving the tables to MySQL and keeping the
Access GUI (forms, reports etc).
The easy way is to use a tool (like SQLYog) which allows you to export
Access tables into MySQL server.

Once tables exist in MySQL server you simply connect via ODBC Access
(linked tables) to the MySQL server.  So when you open Access your
tables will be from MySQL and GUI from Access.  This way you can connect
a number of thick clients (Access GUIs).
At the same time you can work on an alternative GUI.  Maybe use PHP or
another language to provide online access to the database.

Szymon Machajewski

Solutions Engineer / DBA
Red Hat Certified Engineer
Microsoft Certified Solution Developer
www.grcc.edu/smachaje

>>> billl at mtd-inc.com 6/13/2006 12:18 pm >>>
Could someone give me a pointer for "Moving MS Access databases to
MySQL server while keeping the GUI"? that's been brought up recently.

I need to rebuild an Access DB for use by multiple sites concurrently
and have it pull data from an Oracle DB.
I don't want to use Access for a frontend if I can help it.

Google shows lots of options.
http://microolap.com/products/database/mydbacentral/ looks promising
for commercial.

A pointer in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Bill