[GRLUG] Disk scrubber

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Tue Jul 25 14:53:45 EDT 2006

On 7/25/06, Tim Schmidt <timschmidt at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/25/06, Michael Mol <mikemol at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I try not to think about such things.  But as several people in an old
> > Slashdot article pointed out, if they could access overwritten data,
> > wouldn't they try to use it to increase storage volume?
> >

> Modern drives fail enough already (if you don't believe me, try
> running smartctl -a on your own drives).  It's one thing to offer
> access to people attempting to recover information, another entirely
> to increase reliable storage capacity.

I believe you.  However, I rarely have my drives' sectors go bad
before the warranty is up.

Even so, smartctl -a is one of the first tests we run at PC Clinic,
for unstable systems.  We usually see one or two systems a month that
need a new hard drive.

Thinking of which...does anyone know of a graphical interface for
smartctl? Few of our technicians know hot to use a Linux CLI.