[GRLUG] linux meetup

Szymon Machajewski smachaje at grcc.edu
Tue Jul 4 15:04:59 EDT 2006

I would suggest that we go easy on a custom design.

The key is how to keep the web site up to date.  With Wiki we can
distribute the load of updating.

Maybe someone can get into making the look of our mediawiki more
custom, but I think the days of html files for websites is long gone.
Why create a site which sooner or later will become a bottle-neck
again.

Szymon Machajewski

Solutions Engineer / DBA
Red Hat Certified Engineer
Microsoft Certified Solution Developer
www.grcc.edu/smachaje

>>> mikemol at gmail.com 7/4/2006 3:42:52 am >>>
I've got some time...I put together the current incarnation of
grc4.org, which will be replaced once my guy finishes the final
layout.  I'm no HTML and CSS expert, but I can read W3C specs.
However, my overal design skills are, shall we say, underdeveloped.

So...what needs to be there? Some thoughts:
* Who are we? (Someone else should probably write that blurb)
* Meeting info
* Announcements

Here's a rough mock-up of what it might look like:
http://theforge.us/sc/grlugsite.png

(Sheesh...for how long that took, I might have been better off doing
it in HTML in the first place.)

On 7/4/06, Godwin <geektoyz at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sure we can make the wiki page the home page for now.  I'm somewhat
> partial to home-brewed looking sites (nice ones with css) as opposed
> to cookie-cutter ones, but my web design time is being taken up at
the
> moment.  :-)
>
> If/when a good web designer surfaces, maybe we can maintain both.
>
> G-
>

> On 7/2/06, Szymon Machajewski <smachaje at grcc.edu> wrote:
> > Godwin,
> >
> > You've made a call for a web developer in the past.  Why don't we
take
> > the wiki as the home page for now.  This would defuse the need for
one
> > developer.
> >

> > Szymon Machajewski
> >
> > Solutions Engineer / DBA
> > Red Hat Certified Engineer
> > Microsoft Certified Solution Developer
> > www.grcc.edu/smachaje

> > One more thing.  When I first noticed GRLUG a year or two ago, I
> > thought it was dead.  The website hadn't been updated in ages.
Even