[GRLUG] linux meetup

Szymon Machajewski smachaje at grcc.edu
Sun Jul 2 21:37:12 EDT 2006

I think you could add the topic to the requested subjects of
presentations and put your name next to it (on the wiki site).

Depending on the meeting the assigned presentations will vary.  Some
will be more enterprise some will be more personal use.  Making money on
Linux is currently around enterprise use.  Also the buy-in from the
enterprise is the sustainable future for Linux.  The personal use is
also important and has it's place.

Szymon Machajewski

Solutions Engineer / DBA
Red Hat Certified Engineer
Microsoft Certified Solution Developer
www.grcc.edu/smachaje

>>> mikemol at gmail.com 7/2/2006 12:52:47 am >>>
Looking at the list, there seem to be a large number of casual users,
as opposed to Linux-using professionals.

Not that I can get a complete feel for GRLUG after attending one
meeting, but the casual side of Linux did seem lacking.  (But maybe an
after-one-meeting impression is needed.)  Clustering filesystems are
useful from an administrators standpoint, and fascinating to me.

However, the average home-user of Linux is going to be more interested
in what games are available, or how to get 3D acceleration for their
ATI or NVidia card, or where to find a Linux distro that takes
advantage of x86-64.

I expect that within a year or two, people are going to be asking how
to use Linux for everyday home tasks. (How do I run TurboTax on this
Linux system my grandson set up?  How do I write my English paper on
this computer I got for cheap?  How do I PRINT?!)

If people are interested, I'd be happy to demo the proprietary and OSS
ATI drivers, and the proprietary NVidia driver.  I could show off many
of the games that were developed for Linux, or ported to Linux.

But that's really not the kind of thing that struck me as a focus
point for GRLUG, after attending one meeting.  And if that's what it
looks like to someone who sat through it and asked questions, what's
it going to look like to someone whose interests are entirely
consumer-oriented?