[GRLUG] Itunes and France

Bob Kline bob.kline at gmail.com
Sun Jul 2 10:49:35 EDT 2006

All true.  Almost without exception - maybe Newton
and Einstein - people do not create in a vacuum,  and
most "advances" are in the context of what already
exists.  Incremental improvements.  It's only when it
comes time to get paid that most people try to  take
a more generous helping of credit for themselves.

I agree that "intellectual property" has become a
perversion of the copyright process,  and frivolous
patents have done the same thing.   So has politics,
where outfits like Disney have gotten Congress to
extend the copyright period another 25 years,  to an
absurd 95 years.  Sadly,  unlike the patent period,
the Founding Fathers never got back to addressing
the copyright period.  It was left to common sense,
as were other things in the Constitution,  and has
now been so badly perverted that it's hard to create
or invent anything.  If something succeeds at all,
an army of lawyers will take it away from you unless
you are rich enough to get any real justice.  Look at
companies that want to patent ( or is it copyright? ) a
single click.  Or Intel trying to copyright the number
"5" back when the pentium came out.  Absurd?  Not
enough so that some big company won't try,  and
maybe drive any small company in the way out of
business.

The current patent and copyright system seems
dangerously close to creating innovation paralysis.
Many patents are silly,  and never  meant to be
anything more than the opening round for a lawsuit.

   -Bob