[GRLUG] Itunes and France

Ron Lauzon rlauzon at gmail.com
Sat Jul 1 17:19:49 EDT 2006

Bob Kline wrote:
> I think France has this basically right in principle. Knowingly or not, it is fighting for standards, and we mostly know how important those are, and
> what the PC world was like just 15 years, when almost everything was proprietary, and expensive.

Many groups are (finally!) discovering what many of us have known for a
long time: Proprietary is bad for the consumer.
And they are discovering what "proprietary" really means.

For example, the big push to use the Open Document Format instead of
Microsoft Word.

Back in the '80s, the saying was "No one ever got fired for going with
IBM."  By the mid 1990s, that was no longer said.  Now the saying is "No
one ever got fired for going with Microsoft" but that is now just
starting to be false.

> The only way to beat all this is with standards.  You
> either have standards or you get monopolies.
And companies (like Microsoft and Apple) who have business models based
not on providing the best value, but rather on DRM and customer lock-in,
want to either own these "standards" or cry foul when their proprietary
standards become de facto standards and they are called to open them up.

--
Ron Lauzon - rlauzon at acm dot org
   Homepage: http://7lauzon.home.comcast.net/

   DNRC: Lord of All Things That Are Fattening

   "To be sure, conservative radio talk show hosts have a built-in
   audience unavailable to liberals: People driving cars to some
   sort of job." - Ann Coulter

Microsoft Free since July 06, 2001
Running Mandriva Linux 2006