[GRLUG] IPv6

Benjamin Flanders flanderb at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 09:27:26 EST 2006

Thank you,
I was able to get a ping6 and when I disabled ipv6 I got an error
message of "socket: Address family not supported by protocol" WooHoo.

Running netstat before and after I ran the server I was able  to see
all the new ports open except the "5353 (UDP): Used for multicast DNS
(Rendevouz) protocol."

I will work more later when I get home.

Thank you for your help.

On 1/20/06, Andrew Keuhs <chatwizrd at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/19/06, Tim Schmidt <timschmidt at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 1/19/06, Benjamin Flanders <flanderb at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Good point, I reset the /etc/modprobe.d/aliases to what it was
> > > originally and I still am unable to ping ::1/128.
> > >
> > > Is this correct? All I need to do is "ping ::1/128"? I get unknown host.
> >
> > I dug that information out of the Wikipedia's IPv6 article, I really
> > have no idea.  :)  I need to do a little work with IPv6 soon though,
> > so I'll google for it.
> >
> > --tim
> >

> To ping a local loopback on ipv6 you need to do as follows.
>
> ping6 ::1
>
> If you use the regular ping command it will only ping ipv4 ips. Also
> ping6 ::1/128 will come back as unknown host. But if your machine has
> the ping6 command it will be able to ping ::1 if it is enabled.
>
> If your machine does not have the ping6 command I would check to see
> if the ping command has an ipv6 option using man ping to see.
>
> --
>
> To properly disable ipv6 on ubuntu do the following:
>
> Add the following lines to /etc/modprobe.conf
>
> alias ipv6 off
> alias net-pf-10 off
>
> Then reboot.
>
> --
>
> As far as open ports netstat would be the most obvious choice to check
> for open ports.
>
> As I have never used ubuntu I have no clue how it lists open ports.
>
> Try:
>
> netstat -na | grep -i list
>
> ( This would check for lines that have the word LISTEN. This is how
> they are listed on fedora. If it comes back with nothing just try a
> netstat -na and look for any listening lines.)
>
> Some linux machines also use a tool called lsof.
>
> You could try the command:
>
> lsof -i
>
> --
>
> Let me know if you still need more help.
>
> Thanks
>
> - Andrew Keuhs

Share and Enjoy