[GRLUG] Client/Server Database app question

kyle victor computerguy.kyle at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 15:43:20 EST 2006

after doing a little searching i found that one can create a pdf file as an
output from a php script

http://www.zend.com/zend/spotlight/creatingpdfmay1.php?article=creatingpdfmay1&kind=sl&id=4181&open=1&anc=0&view=1

this link has a little expaination

and on this site there is a pdf invoice example

www.lerdorf.com/tips.pdf

i would think if you can output to pdf, you should be able to format the pdf
to print just as you want

this is my quick two cents, i have been trying to write more php, and
because of your question, i now want to work on getting this pdf file output
on my newest site, i want to try to list a member roster as on pdf file,
pulling the list from the db

**

On 1/18/06, Chris Lamrock <clamrock at nmtdie.com> wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> We are using a very old windows based database program I wrote in Foxpro
> 2.5 - and updated in Visual foxpro 6.0 in 2001 or so.
>
> I am thinking of a complete revamp and am also thinking about a
> Client/Server type setup.
>
> My thoughts are SQL with a web browser front end.  I haven't done anything
> like this before but thought it might be a good/fun project.
> This software is a database of job quotes and will have to print out a
> single page quote perfectly formatted - as well as display it on the
> screen.
> The software will allow the user to enter/add/print/view/delete and search
> for documents.  My current version has about 6 databases.
>
> Questions:
>
> What would be a good language to write this in? Perl?
>

> Is a "perfectly formatted document" printout doable from a web browser?
>

> Thanks in advance!
>
> -Chris

Kyle Victor MCSA/MCSE/CCNA/Linux +/RHCT

visit Kyle's website at: