[GRLUG] NVidia binaries

john-thomas richards jtr at jrichards.org
Tue Jan 3 11:41:29 EST 2006

On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 11:24:12AM -0500, Chris Lamrock wrote:
> Hey Zach,
>
> I had tons of problems with the Nvidia drivers and the 2.6x Kernel.  Ubuntu
> locked up occasionally and I couldn't run my laptop for more than 1/2 hour
> before it would lock hard.
>
> Sooo I installed Debian - it ran fine on the 2.4x kernel - when I upgraded
> to 2.6x - the locks came back.  I did a bunch of googling (2or days) and
> finally pieced together  some compile options I had to set to get the
> 2.6.11.x kernel working with Nvidia - which it does now.
>
> I'm not sure if this is a similar problem or not - but it sure was annoying.
> Nvidia has a pretty good tech forum that has quite a bit of info on linux
> and the Nvidia driver...
> http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=14

Strange.  I have never changed compile options on my nVidia driver
compiles.  Are you using the Debian method of compiling kernels &
binary modules?  When I compile the kernel and the nVidia driver I get
two .debs to install.  If I recompile a kernel simply to add/remove
features (but not upgrading the version) I can reuse the nVidia .deb.
--
john-thomas
------