[GRLUG] NVidia binaries

Al Tobey albert.tobey at priority-health.com
Tue Jan 3 11:30:32 EST 2006

On Tue, 2006-01-03 at 11:00 -0500, Zach Dennis wrote:
> I run nvidia cards at home and at work. I run Ubuntu Breezy at home and
> at work to.
>
> I don't reboot very often, but when I do there is this annoying problem
> I face. I have to recompile the drivers each and every time!
>
> If I dont recompile after every reboot X hangs and although ssh works,
> you can't do anything through a monitor. I am using nvidia 1.0-7676
> drivers. This isn't a huge deal because it takes about 15 seconds to do,
> but it is annoying.
>
> I run different video cards at home and at work, so I dont think the
> card to be the problem. any ideas ?

Under Ubuntu, the linux-restricted-modules (or something like that)
tends to stomp over the ATI binary drivers at least on my box since I
installed them from ATI.com.   I ran into the exact behavior you're
describing on with my Radeon at home.

Try reinstalling linux-restricted-modules, then reinstall the NVidia
driver (if that's what you want).   After a reboot to make sure
everything is SNAFU, try "find /lib -name nvidia.ko" -- IIRC, you will
find a directory something like /lib/restricted that contains the source
of your problems.   You still want linux-restricted-modules installed so
that upgrades to X.org or Mesa don't overwrite your NVidia libGL.so.

I need sleep ...
-Al Tobey