[GRLUG] how to get suse 10 to connect with sbc dsl

Godwin geektoyz at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 22:15:07 EST 2006

I understand that with new SBC service you can have the PPPoE
authentication happen at the DSL modem (Speedstream 4100) and obtain a
Class C [RFC 1918] address or configure the DSL modem in bridge mode
and authenticate at your PC/router (Speedstream 5100) thereby
obtaining a routable IP addy.

I have a 5100 in bridge mode (careful, you'll only regain access to
modem by reseting it - depressing button) and used *pppoeconf* on
debian to setup the ppp0 interface (and link).  It should adjust the
DNS [/etc/resolv.conf] for you.

If not, edit the file {as root} and add these for SBC yourself:

nameserver 66.73.20.40
nameserver 206.141.193.55

If it's not on SuSE, which it should be, roll your own.  :-)

http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/p/pppoeconf/pppoeconf_1.8.tar.gz

luck,
G-

On 2/16/06, Jeff Morley <jmore9 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello! I just tried suse10 and i am having a problem getting it to get on
> the net.  I have the ip addresses entered correctly but i have not been able
> to figure out how to enter the DNS numbers . anyone have any ideas on this.
> I have read RTFM and am still confused.  My windows side works just fine.

Ubber::Geek
http://grlug.org/