[GRLUG] multiple things

Ron Lauzon rlauzon at gmail.com
Fri Dec 29 17:31:54 EST 2006

eah wrote:
> The intent here is to have the GRlug provide GR some Linux-based advice on
> hardware. To take the lazy route - why not just compile a list of said
> resources as recommended by our LUG?

That would be nice, but there are some issues with doing that:
1. By the time anyone else looks at the list, most of the hardware won't
be made anymore.  Try going to linuxprinting.org (which lists how
compatible printers are with Linux).  For the most part, by the time the
printer ends up in the "Perfectly" column, it isn't sold anymore.
2. I recently purchased a Lenovo 3000 N100.  I loaded Mandriva 2007 on
it.  It ran almost perfectly (I had to patch a video BIOS bug).  Now, if
you purchased the same laptop tomorrow, my experience with Mandriva
won't help you get Ubuntu, for example, running on it.
3. Just because firmware rev 3 works with Linux doesn't mean firmware
rev 4 will work.  This is a problem I had with wireless cards a while
ago.  I'd see from a Linux site that Card XXX rev. A worked fine with
Linux.  So I'd go to the store and buy one.  Note that they don't put
the "rev. A" on the box, so there's no way to know what rev it is until
you get it home - and it's almost never "rev. A" (most likely "rev. D" -
which is not compatible).

So we can make a list.  We can keep it up to date.

What we can't do is make it any more useful than going to Google and
doing a search for "Hardware +Linux".

--
Ron Lauzon - rlauzon at acm dot org
   Homepage: http://7lauzon.home.comcast.net/

   DNRC: Lord of All Things That Are Fattening

   "To be sure, conservative radio talk show hosts have a built-in
   audience unavailable to liberals: People driving cars to some
   sort of job." - Ann Coulter

Microsoft Free since July 06, 2001
Running Mandriva Linux 2007