[GRLUG] Wireless scanning scripts

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 13:41:30 EST 2006

I tried messing with Kismet back when I first tried to figure out
wireless networking.  I was never able to get wireless completely
working while I was running Debian.  I now know the details behind
why, though.

The story behind these scripts?  I chatted with a couple of my
friends, and they told me they wanted to go wardriving.  I was already
on my way to Florida at the time (I believe I was in Knoxville,
TN...).  I didn't think much of it until boredom struck the next day.
So I wrote these.

Frankly, though, writing my own scanning and analysis scripts was a
lot more fun and informative.  Any script kiddie can have kismet or
netstumbler do their scanning for them, to which they can adapt
themselves.  If I can, I like to write my own tools, which I can adapt
to my needs. (Cue discussion on nature of open source.)

As for network names with = in them, there should be no problem.  Step
1b filters out "--", which is a separator grep drops into its output
when returning multiple lines.  The "=" separators sprinkled into
wlwatch.txt by wirelesswatch.sh aren't affected, and happen to not
interfere with the scripts.  They were supposed to make the data more
easily machine-readable, but really only serve to make it
human-readable.