[GRLUG] Browsers crash on Kubuntu

Roberto Villarreal rvillarreal at mktec.com
Thu Dec 7 09:01:20 EST 2006

On Thursday 07 December 2006 4:51 am, Bob Kline wrote:
>  I have Kubuntu 6.10 running on a junker
> I picked up at VC Tech Source last summer.
> Works fine but for one highly annoying
> exception.  Browsers crash.  Not just
> wedge,  but cause the system to reboot.
> I'd just write the machine off as a loss but
> for the fact that it works fine in all other
> respects.  e.g.,  it   plays DVDs fine.

In addition to everyone else's suggestions, if feasible, try ssh-ing into your
box after it 'crashes'.  Lately I've been having a problem where my machine
seems to freeze up (and ctrl-alt-backspace, ctrl-alt-delete, changing to
another virtual terminal, etc. don't work), but I am able to ssh in and
witness X magically sucking up about 3GB (real + swap) of my memory...
killing it remotely brings my box back to life.  I still haven't solved my
problem, but if you verify that your box truly is locked versus just being
unresponsive locally, it may help figuring out the problem...

HTH,
Roberto