[GRLUG] Browsers crash on Kubuntu

Bob Kline bob.kline at gmail.com
Thu Dec 7 04:51:12 EST 2006

 I have Kubuntu 6.10 running on a junker
I picked up at VC Tech Source last summer.
Works fine but for one highly annoying
exception.  Browsers crash.  Not just
wedge,  but cause the system to reboot.
I'd just write the machine off as a loss but
for the fact that it works fine in all other
respects.  e.g.,  it   plays DVDs fine.

The basic question is whether anyone else
in the group is seeing anything like this?

I've attached the xorg.conf file from the
system.  The point here is that the default
color depth appears to be set to 24, which
some people have reported on the Internet
cures a similar problem they are having.
But the xorg.conf has always been set this
way and doesn't help a bit.

Some other observations:

*  I've run firefox using "firefox -safe-mode",
to avoid using any plugins.  It still crashes
eventually,  even though some have suggested
that it is those same plugins that cause the
problem when certain web sites are entered.
And it is a fact that certain web sites will cause
the problem I am having almost immediately.

*  I've tried several browsers.  Firefox,  Opera,
Konqueror.  Opera crashes the second I
launch it.  Konqueror works best,  but only in
the sense that it takes a while longer before
the screen wedges or the system reboots.  A
wedge means that I have to reboot the system.
The only difference being that in many cases
the system reboots on its own.

In most other ways the machine works fine.
I can FTP entire OSes,  and do most anything
as long as it doesn't involve a browser.  But
that of course a serious limitation.

Does any of this suggest anything to anyone
that I can look in to?   The machine could be
defective in some way,  in which case it will
live out its days in a landfill,  along with all of
the other Canadian garbage.

  -Bob