[GRLUG] duplicate usb drive

Bill Littlejohn billl at mtd-inc.com
Wed Aug 30 11:59:15 EDT 2006

OK. Short background.
The integrated video card in my wifes winxp box is borked and the system
won't boot anything.
I want to duplicate the drive in order to boot the copy using LiveView
in a VM for the purpose of recovering
the damned DRM license keys for all her music.

I have the 40GB source drive hooked up a usb-ide converter.
I have a handy 75GB usb drive available to put the copy onto.
My source drive shows as /dev/sda and the target as /dev/sdb under both
Suse and Knoppix.
No surprises there.
The source drive has a single NTFS partition using 100%.

So here is the problem,
I need the result to be an exact copy (i.e. bootable), OR a single dd
image would work for LiveView also, but needs to be readable from Win.
I can't seem to use "dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb " because the drives are
of differing geometry. (I tried anyway but got something like 116Kb/sec
transfer and gave up :(
I can't use "dd if=/dev/sda1 of=/mnt/sdb1/winxp.img" because I need to
format the target drive as FAT32 to be readable under Win and Linux and
obviously you can't have a 37GB file on FAT32.

So how does one make an exact copy of a drive to a non-identical drive?