[GRLUG] Ubuntu and Wireless

john-thomas richards jtr at jrichards.org
Sat Aug 26 15:56:10 EDT 2006

On Sat, Aug 26, 2006 at 03:42:13PM -0400, Bill Creswell wrote:
> I was tickled, when I ran the ubuntu live CD and my wireless card just
> worked.
> Now, it is installed, and it doesn't appear to be detecting the card.
> My understanding is that an install removes the hardware detection. Is there
> a way to re-run it?

I suspect you may simply need to insert the module into the running
kernel.  If you do not know which module to insert, a bit of
experimentation may be necessary.  Apart from googling for the answer,
you could boot from the LiveCD and run 'lsmod' as root and write down
the modules listed.  Scratch off those you recognize.  Reboot into the
installed Kubuntu and run lsmod again.  Scratch off the modules that
are currently running.  Hopefully the remaining list is short.
Insert/remove them one by one until your wireless card works.
--
john-thomas
------