[GRLUG] An ISP question

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Fri Aug 11 13:52:10 EDT 2006

On 8/10/06, Bob Kline <bob.kline at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have the Comcast 8M / 800K  package.
> Independent of the time of day,  I get
> something like 6Mbps down from some
> sites,  and typically 640Kbps up to my
> web hosting site,  using FTP.
>
> Now,  if I use two or more FTP jobs to
> transfer data to/from my web hosting site
> I invariably get the full 8M / 800K.    I
>
> 'm just curious why this would be. I'm
> temped to say it's not Comcast,  since
> I do get the full rates under certain
> circumstances.  Why my web hosting
> site would limit a single stream to 640Kbps
> up, if it is,  I have no idea - I will contact them
> and ask.
>
> In the mean time,  any thoughts here, or
> similar experiences?

Would "certan circumstances" be such where the data transfer consisted
of multiple data streams? (Like download accelerators and p2p
clients?)

Comcast might have a cap on the throughput of individual TCP streams.
Seems likely, especially if they expect customers to have more than
one simultaneous user to a particular account. It would certainly make
for an easy way to keep one user from hogging all the bandwidth, and
thus reduces complaint calls about "My internet is slow!"