[GRLUG] core 5 iso image?

john-thomas richards jtr at jrichards.org
Sun Apr 30 14:22:56 EDT 2006

On Sun, Apr 30, 2006 at 12:33:59AM -0400, Tim Schmidt wrote:
[snip]
> However, more and more I get the feeling that bittorrent traffic is
> throttled by the ISPs or backbone providers...  Big widely peered
> files I've downloaded with bittorrent sometimes reach just a
> percentage of my possible downstream bandwidth, even when I'm in the
> DMZ and have uploading throttled to about 30% of upstream bandwidth.
> So the slowness has to either be the connection (easily disproved with
> wget), the peers (unlikely, there are lots, and the majority on very
> high speed links), the software (unlikely in my opinion), or some form
> of throttling.

It is my understanding of bittorrent that it adjusts your download
speed relative to your upload speed.  The whole point of bittorrent is
*everyone* shares the load so your download speed is relative.  This
prevents one from downloading a large file without really contributing
bandwidth back to others in the form of sharing the same file (or
pieces thereof) with others at a comparable speed.  If (since) your
upstream bandwidth (which is really just another way to say someone
else's *downstream* bandwidth) is throttled, your downstream is being
"throttled," too.
--
john-thomas
------