[GRLUG] Linksys router security setup

Ron Lauzon rlauzon at gmail.com
Sat Dec 24 06:50:42 EST 2005

Bob Kline wrote:

> I have a Linksys wireless router, and have ( I believe ) set up the
> security settings.
>
> The question is this:  I press the "Cisco Systems" button on the left
> side of the
> front panel,  and it blinks with a white light for about 2 minutes.
> Is this the stage
> at which one is supposed to turn on the wireless device on a client
> PC?   Or does
> the flickering white light mean that the router is looking for another
> client device?

I think it just means you reset the router.

For wireless devices, all you should have to do is change the SSID to
whatever you want.  It's a good idea to turn off SSID Broadcast (makes
your network more stealth).  Then put that SSID into whatever devices
you want to connect and start.

I would only worry about wireless security if you have lots of techie
guys near by who can probably see your network even with the broadcast
turned off.

> I'm finding the Linksys documentation clear as mud.  Everything works
> out of the
> box as long as you're willing to take the no-encryption default,  but
> the instructions
> for setting up security are no help at all.

There are varying levels of security.

First is turning off the SSID Broadcast.  This basically tells your
router to stop yelling out "I'm here!" every so often.  Of course, this
means that anything that configures itself by listening for that
broadcast won't auto-config.  You will have to put in the SSID manually.

Next is putting in a WEP key.  Again, the drawback is that devices won't
auto-config and you have to manually set up any device you want talking
to your wireless network.  A WEP key encrypts the communication data.

There are more, but they aren't available on most consumer devices.  The
book "802.11 Wireless Networks" is a good book if you want to learn more
about wireless networks.

In my case, I turned off SSID broadcast and then built up a small
process that asks the router to list all the devices that have made DHCP
requests lately.  The process then checks that list against known MAC
addresses and if it finds one without a match, it tells me.  I can then
go into the router and tell the router to stop talking to that MAC
(effectively blocking that computer from my network).

--
Ron Lauzon - rlauzon at acm dot org
   Homepage: http://7lauzon.home.comcast.net/

   DNRC: Lord of All Things That Are Fattening

   "To be sure, conservative radio talk show hosts have a built-in
   audience unavailable to liberals: People driving cars to some
   sort of job." - Ann Coulter

Microsoft Free since July 06, 2001
Running Mandriva Linux 2005LE