[GRLUG] Linux system for sale

Mon Dec 5 09:59:59 EST 2005

Hey I bought one similar from Ron and it's driving our mailing list
now...  One cavaet, if you're gonna run it as a secret agent (linux
server), you may wanna do the trick I did (which I read online
somewhere).  The PC won't boot w/o a keyboard, at least mine (633Mhz)
won't.  It isn't an option in the BIOS and it just sits there.

Open an old ps/2 keyboard, remove the cable and circuit board, wrap
the heck out of it with electrical tape and coil then zip tie the
cord.  Place the bundle inside.  Cut a small slit on one of the
removable expansion slot covers and pull just enough of the keyboard
cord out to bend around and plug in.  Neat and cool.  PC now has
(unusable) keyboard plugged in and it's happy.  Great little PC
otherwise.

No trouble with my NIC, Intel (e100.o) based.

G-

> Sold!    We can meet somewhere convenient later this week,  or whatever
>  you prefer.
>

>  Check OK?
>

>       -Bob

> > Linux system for sale
> >
> > Name: Sakaki (Hey, I built it, so I get to name it).
> >
> > Sakaki is a Compaq Deskpro EN (small form factor) system with an 866 Mhz
> > Pentium III and 512 MB RAM.  She has a 40 GB hard drive, CD-ROM and
> > floppy.  Also built in video and sound.  PS/2 mouse and keyboard,
> > parallel, serial and USB ports.  Note that she does have onboard am NIC,
> > but I found it to be unreliable under Linux.  So she has a 3COM NIC in
> > one of the expansion slots.
> >
> > The PC has a full-size CD-ROM bay, so you can put in a CD-R or a DVD
> > drive.  She has 2 expansion slots left.  She will take full height
> > cards, but may not take long cards.  Half-length cards will fit with no
> > problem.
> >
> > She comes with mouse, keyboard and power cord.  All you need to supply
> > is a monitor (and speakers if you like good sound).  She is preloaded
> > with Mandriva Linux 2006 Power Pack with all the updates that were
> > available when I built her (within the last couple of weeks).  You get
> > the Mandriva CD-Rs that I used to install her.
> >
> > Sakaki is $100
> > (Basically what I was charged for the hardware.)
> >
> > --
> > Ron Lauzon - rlauzon at acm dot org
> >    Homepage: http://7lauzon.home.comcast.net/
> >    Weblog: http://ronsapartment.blogspot.com/
> >
> >    DNRC: Lord of All Things That Are Fattening
> >
> >    "To be sure, conservative radio talk show hosts have a built-in
> >    audience unavailable to liberals: People driving cars to some
> >    sort of job." - Ann Coulter
> >
> > Microsoft Free since July 06, 2001
> > Running Mandriva Linux 2005LE

Ubber::Geek