[GRLUG] mount iso for install from hard drive

Sun Dec 4 21:34:50 EST 2005

I've done this with RedHat

mount -o loop -t iso9660 cd1.iso cd1
mount -o loop -t iso9660 cd2.iso cd2
mount -o loop -t iso9660 cd3.iso cd3
mount -o loop -t iso9660 cd4.iso cd4

cd install/RedHat/RPMS

ln -s ../../../cd1/RedHat/RPMS/* .
ln -s ../../../cd2/RedHat/RPMS/* .
ln -s ../../../cd3/RedHat/RPMS/* .
ln -s ../../../cd4/RedHat/RPMS/* .

Sincerely,

Szymon Machajewski

Solutions Engineer / DBA
Grand Rapids Community College
http://www.grcc.edu/smachaje

"If we are to survive, we must have ideas, vision and courage.
 These things are rarely produced by committees.
 Everything that matters in our intellectual and moral life
 begins with an individual confronting his own mind and conscience
 in a room by himself."

     -- Arthur Schlesinger, Jr.

GRLUG general mailing list wrote:

> Hello!  I have googled all over and haven't been able
> to find any docs, how tos on mounting a iso in an ext2
> partition and directing the suse 9.3 installer to that
> partition and use the mounted iso.  Any help with
> finding out how to do this would be greatly
> appreciated.  thank you for your time
> Jeff

I have also tried to do this, but with out real success. The closest I have
come, is to copy the entire contents of the disk to a directory, and then use
the "install from directory" option.

One way I have done this was as follows: Boot into rescue mode and set up your
hard drive for the install. Then copy the ISO (I recommend the DVD ISO) to the
file system ( By the way, I recommend using XFS, or ReiserFS, or ext3 rather
than ext2) and then create directories "mnt" and "SuSE9.3-DVD1". Next mount the
ISO on mount point mnt:
     mount -o loop SuSE9.3-DVD1.iso mnt
and then copy everything from the mount directory to the working directory:
     cp -a mnt/* SuSE9.3-DVD1/
and reboot into install mode, select the install from directory option, and
install from the directory SuSE9.3-DVD1. I do recommend that you put this
directory on a partition other than your sysem root, such as /data or /home.

This waste of disk space, having two copies of DVD1 is necessary only for the
install. (If you were really pressed for space you could copy the contents of
the disk to the directory without copying the iso till later. Like after you
delete the install files. See below.)

Once the install is done you can delete the contents of you install directory,
and your temporary mount point directory mnt and make SuSE9.3-DVD1 the permenant
mount point for SuSE9.3-DVD1.iso. Edit your /etc/fstab by adding a line like the
following:

    /data/SuSE9.3DVD1.iso  /media/SuSE9.3DVD1   iso9660   loop   0  0

Since Yast alredy has the mount point directory listed as the installation
source you can add new programs easilly, without looking for your disk. And the
ISO is inherently a read only file system, so it constitutes (IMHO) "trusted
media, should you get hacked and need to reinstall.

I hope this helps.
Raymond McLaughlin