[GRLUG] Samba

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Fri Feb 26 06:31:21 EST 2016

On Thu, 2016-02-25 at 11:45 -0600, L. V. Lammert wrote:
> Trying to come up with a *simple* way to manage a dedicated Samba
> box,.. would prefer to KISS as much as possible.

Which would be Samba 4;  it is an out-of-the-box DC.  Creating a domain
takes minutes, and everything with Windows just-works.

> I have run across a few notes about authentication against system
> users & passwords, but nothing definitive - most are old, Samba 3,
> whereas distros today are shipping with Samba 4.
> Is this a reasonable idea?

Yes.

>  If so, no additional tool would be needed - I
> have done docs more than once for non-tech admins to manage system
> users with Yast.

It is managing an Active Directory domain, there are piles of
documentation.  Everything will integrate with AD (it is LDAP &
Kerberos).  LDAP & Kerberos are now the standards for *everything*;
 everything else is a legacy hanger-on.

--
Adam Tauno Williams <mailto:awilliam at whitemice.org> GPG D95ED383