[GRLUG] DD-WRT DHCP/IP address problem

John-Thomas Richards jtr at jrichards.org
Sun Apr 17 14:49:47 EDT 2016

On Sun, Apr 17, 2016 at 02:23:41PM -0400, Dave Chiodo wrote:
> It sounds like you just have two wireless AP's (even they are both on the
> same hardware) that are on the same LAN, and the two DHCP networks are
> stepping on each other - both receive requests, and the client takes the
> assignment from whichever reply it gets first.
>
> I found this which describes how to make it work - the "separate bridge" is
> an essential part. If you didn't do that, that's the problem. If it worked
> before, it was out of random luck:
>
> http://www.alexlaird.com/2013/03/dd-wrt-guest-wireless/

I did not create a separate subnet for the guest network, and I
certainly did not create a different DHCP server for it.

If it was random luck, I had a few months of it before it became a
problem! Actually, no. I just remembered that it started doing the same
thing on the primary network, which was easily worked around by avoiding
DHCP and going static.

I'll reflash the router and start from scratch.
--
J-T
-----