[GRLUG] VGA / video question

Thad Ward coderjoe69 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 23 19:16:00 EDT 2015

I've used a few different cat5/cat6 extenders for doing video at conventions, both
with VGA and HDMI. One location we used shielded cat6 with one of these (or some
other brand that looked identical) to run the video a few hundred feet (including
a coil of excess cable backstage)

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-VGA-Monitor-Extender-feet/dp/B002KQ6ZD8/

I don't know why there is only one power adapter in that one, though. There should
be one for each end. The "two power adapters" option appears to be a different
model entirely, with two VGA ports at each end and lower maximum resolution.

Regular cat5e will probably be fine for the run. I think the cat6 STP was overkill.