[GRLUG] Arch Linux

Alex Riebs cjariebs at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 13:33:19 EDT 2015

I run Arch on my laptop and have been for the past 4 years or so. You don't
HAVE to keep up with the rolling releases, and even so there isn't that
much maintenance. Occasionally you'll have to merge a configuration file or
something, and if you want the latest version of anything then you have to
run the update. I don't see why that's a bad thing, and it is optional.
After all, Debian can get away without updates for extended periods of time
too :P

To be fair though, sometimes an update might break your system, but it's
considered best practice to check the Arch Linux news before running a
-Syu, because they always let users know when a system-breaking update is
coming or manual intervention is required.

Either way Arch Linux has by far been my most satisfying Linux experience
after trying Debian, Fedora, Ubuntu, Gentoo, Slackware, and LFS. Everything
I want, nothing I don't. I'm running a rock-solid workhorse. :)

On Thu, Jun 25, 2015 at 9:31 AM, Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam at whitemice.org