[GRLUG] grlug Digest, Vol 107, Issue 5

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 10:36:37 EST 2015

On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 10:31 AM, L. V. Lammert <lvl at omnitec.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Feb 2015, Dave Chiodo wrote:
>
>> I think the point here might be that windows admins are most likely
>> not qualified to properly maintain a linux machine without a lot of
>> retraining, regardless of what bells and whistles one might add. If
>> the machine is going to be linux, a qualified linux admin is needed.
>>
> No issue there, but we're not discussing *system* admin, just Samba.
>
> We handle any system issues remotely, but it would be really nice if there
> were a Linux tool (or, possibly, mmc.exe as Adam suggested) so we could
> allow the onsite contact to manage users & passswords.

sudoers can permit this kind of access. Better yet, a python script
wrapping the particular commands you want them to be able to execute,
followed by sudoers configuration permitting the python script to do
its thing.

So,

localcontact at somehost: $ sudo user-admin.py
Enter your password:

would Just Work.